Level 3 Funding from 2005-2007
Center for Persons with Disabilities
College of Education and Human Services
Utah State University
6800 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322
Judith M. Holt, Ph.D., Principal Investigator
Juan Carlos (JC) Vazquez, Contact and Project Coordinator
Martin Blair, Co-Principal Investigator/Project Evaluator
Monica Jimenez, Hispanic Community Liaison
- Utah Department of Health, Division of Community and Family Health Services
- Utah Department of Health Ethnic Health Advisory Committee
- Utah Department of Health, Center for Health Data
- Centro de la Familia de Utah
- Central Utah Center for Independent Living
- Hispanic Family-to-Family Network
To promote healthy living and prevent secondary conditions among Utah’s Hispanics with disability.
Major Program Activities
- Develop Statewide Hispanic/Latino Health Advisory Council. At least 40% of the membership will be individuals who are Hispanic and who have a disability or their family members.
- Statewide data collection conducted using the BRFSS (Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey), Utah Health Status Survey, and focus groups for Hispanics with disabilities and their families.
- Develop a Utah Hispanic State Plan for Disability and Health.
- Targeted health promotion activities, in collaboration with the Utah Department of Health, to promote healthy living practices that prevent secondary conditions among Hispanic adults and children with disabilities.
Evaluation and Research
Literature review of similar projects in other states and review of Hispanic Health in Utah Survey of 2002
Statewide focus groups with Hispanics with disability and their families
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance Survey (BRFSS) 2005-2006
- Utah Health Status Survey 2006-2008